Default Modular 2 Helmet---Fogging icing up ---frustrated

I have had nothing but problems with fogging and icing while using this costly helmet. Not to mention loosing a shield screw while riding.

I rode with the mask, and without it. 1st day without the mask, fairly mild temps in the 20s. All was good, when cracking the shield. Next day much colder temps, constant icing and fogging with and without the mask. I do wear a baclava for warmth. The mask doesn;t seem to fit tight to my face, even after adjusting it. Any suggestions?

Other positive or negative feedback on this helmet would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

Todd

Only issue I have with my Mod 2 (both Wife and I have them) is external icing when the weather is misting/fogging near freezing; the moisture will build ice on the outside and I have to scrape it off pretty consistently.
    No fogging or related issues on the inside. If I put the sun shield down, I have to make sure the face guard is on tight or at least properly set for the sun guard to be outside of it.

Without the face guard, I'm sure there'd be a lot of fogging. If my face guard fills with ice so it can't vent, then that will cause it to fog a little on the inside. I find it's a bit tricky to get the face guard vents aligned properly when closing the flip-up portion of the helmet, but just takes some practice.

I have never worn a modular 2,but I do have the BV2s.I wear glasses also.In the 3 years I have worn this helmet it has never fogged up and my glasses never have fogged.I know it is alot of money but maybe give one a try.You will not be disappointed with a BV2S.

Neenah, Wisconsin. About 30 minutes south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

"Not to mention losing a shield screw while riding."

Same thing happened to me, now I carry a spare and check both sides when we stop.

This is my second year with the Mod2 and it seems that I get more comfortable with it the more I use it. The mask, breathing tubes, everything just seems to come together after awhile. I'm real happy with mine.
    Last edited by gary_in_neenah; 02-18-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling

I have both the mod 2 and the bv2s. The bv2s is the better helmet in my opinion and is warmer for those really cold mornings. The mod 2 is a great helmet when everything is adjusted right. Works great for temps in the teens to low 30s. Bv2s works great in low teens and colder keeps your face warmer with a balaclava.

I have mod 1 & 2 works great for me. Do you suffer from hot head? If you do your balaclava is too thick & your head is sweating building up mositure thus the fogging. I broke a mask snap once & had to ride 120 miles without mask & visor was fogging so had to keep open a bit not pleasant in subzero but do what you have to do when 120 miles out. My suggestions are wear as thin as possible balaclava, insert absorbant mask & change when soaked, adjust mask to be tight but not beyond comfort where your nose is flatened, keep head vent & chin vent open always. Make sure you do not crush mask vent tubes when closing this will cause big fogging problems breath has nowhere to go & not exiting so the fogging. Make sure outside vents are always clear mine can ice up about 200-250 miles including mask pipes so time to rotate to spare mask on board in saddle bags. Not sure how you guys are losing the large viser screw unless your plastic clip is off & not snapped in. If visor is not holding open adjustment telltale sign that your screw is getting loose tighten up with a quarter or nickle might work too. If glasses are still fogging purchase Fog Zero paste & apply to glasses end of fogging. BVS2 is helmet for mod 1 & 2 dummies.. lol... no way to mess up wearing BVS2 but every expensive helmet. Mod 1 & 2 will perform very well keep trying.

I don't know if your stuck on having a modular helmet or not, but I spent years with fogging problems and then to electric shield that would eventually break, and I hated to have a wire hooked to me etc.. One year I tried the Polaris AF-1, which stands for anti-fog. They don't make it anymore as far as I can see, but they do make a model called AF-2. I believe it is the same only a newer model. I have never had a fogging issue in any condition with this helmet with over 5 years use. I recommend this to anyone with fogging problems and/or the electric shield.

gogebictodd, i have a mod 2 and i check my mask sealing by covering the hose adapters and blowing before i drop the faceplate , if you wear the balaclava up over your mouth or nose the mask will not seal and your moisture will go on the shield , you must adjust the straps on the mask so it seals to your face, my wife has a problem getting mask to seal if she wears balaclava up too high, ck mask sealing before dropping front shield, also experiment with front vent and rear vents open or closed

I have a mod2 helmet and had a mod1 before that. Really liked them both. Never any fogging issues. I wear a balaclava as well but i only wear it up over my chin so the mask sits on top of that and not on my bare chin. My mouth is not covered which allows my breath to go out the tubes. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1200renegadeskidoo View Post
    I have both the mod 2 and the bv2s. The bv2s is the better helmet in my opinion and is warmer for those really cold mornings. The mod 2 is a great helmet when everything is adjusted right. Works great for temps in the teens to low 30s. Bv2s works great in low teens and colder keeps your face warmer with a balaclava.
    I have both of these helmets too and agree with what was said here. the key to both helmets is making sure the nose piece is contacting your face correctly. make sure you don't have a balaclava between your face and the nose piece. This can cause fogging due to your warm breath escaping into the interior helmet air space. both are excellent helmets...just have to be worn as they are designed to be worn.

I use Locktite on the threads on the visor screws. Locktite makes a blue and a red. one of them allows you to remove the screw while the other makes it tough to remove. Can't remember which color is the removable one, but ever since I lost a screw on the trail I went to the locktite and never had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    I use Locktite on the threads on the visor screws. Locktite makes a blue and a red. one of them allows you to remove the screw while the other makes it tough to remove. Can't remember which color is the removable one, but ever since I lost a screw on the trail I went to the locktite and never had a problem since.
    That would be blue the red can be broken but very tuff to do so.

[QUOTE=whitedust;318369]I have mod 1 & 2 works great for me. Do you suffer from hot head?

LOL... I do , and I think we have talked about this over the years. Nothing worse than me leading ( w/ hothead ) and have 1 side of my glasses fogged.... no wonder I get lost ( temporarily ) all the time. I have 1 , 2, & BVS2. It still is a balancing act.
    Sometimes I get frustrated and take my glasses off ( have to slow down).
    Sometimes ( temps permitting ) I take my skull cap off so the air can circulate, open my jacket around the collar, and uunzip in jacket venting under my underarms....

If you see some retard, swerving, leading a pack, messing with his zippers & helmet & visor.... not to worry, it's just me with " hot head again !!!!!

Sorry guy's , clear the trail !!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=mjkaliszak;318453]
    Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    I have mod 1 & 2 works great for me. Do you suffer from hot head?

LOL... I do , and I think we have talked about this over the years. Nothing worse than me leading ( w/ hothead ) and have 1 side of my glasses fogged.... no wonder I get lost ( temporarily ) all the time. I have 1 , 2, & BVS2. It still is a balancing act.
    Sometimes I get frustrated and take my glasses off ( have to slow down).
    Sometimes ( temps permitting ) I take my skull cap off so the air can circulate, open my jacket around the collar, and uunzip in jacket venting under my underarms....

If you see some retard, swerving, leading a pack, messing with his zippers & helmet & visor.... not to worry, it's just me with " hot head again !!!!!

Sorry guy's , clear the trail !!!!!!!!
    You need to try Fog Zero paste stopped my glasses from fogging the last detail to complete satisfaction with Mod 1 & 2. No more 1 eye riding.

Great Info! THANKS GUYS!! Yeah that was me too, down with the sun visor, opps fogging, back up. Annoying after a while. Anyways, I will keep trying difference options until I get it mastered. It is a comfortable helmet, and the ability to open the entire face up is great. From the above info, it appears my problem is the balaclava I wear,
    covers my mount with air holes, likely not sealing the mask tight enough, causing my fogging.

Ride Safe

Todd

When i initially put my sun visor down i get fogging. Leave it for just a few seconds and gone. Not sure the reason but it happens whenever I put it down initially after no using it for a while

Keep trying- you are the first person I've ever heard complain about this helmet fogging. I've been wearing it for 13 yrs (started w/ the 1, got the 2 after that one wore out). I have never fogged- riding in Canada when the temp (not windchill) was -28, and then the other end of the spectrum in 32+ degree temps. I think you just have to mess with how it's adjusted. I wear a thin Klim balaclava that is windproof to keep my neck toasty. I don't like neck warmers- feel like I'm choking. I haven't bothered with one of the absorption pads inside the mask in the last few years- still no fogging. I wear my bala over my mouth, but not over my nose- mostly for comfort purposes, it's just how I like it. Always wear the mask- it's designed for it, you will fog without it. I can say that when I lower the face shield, I put my thumbs over the ends of the tubes on the mask, and use my fingers to lower the face part- squeezing the tubes toward my face as I lower/lock the face part. I don't have the mask overly tight against my face, so sometimes if I don't do that- I feel like it gets caught. Wonder if that could be your issue as well- not having the tubes aligned with the outer vents. So try that method- so that the face piece closes easily when pushing the tubes in a bit. I don't like any breezes on my face/eyes- so I keep all vents closed at all times and never even crack my shield and have no problems. Like others said- the sun visor will fog a tad when I first put it down (if not moving). But as soon as I get going, it clears right up. Good luck- it's kind of cumbersome and odd at first, but once you get the hang of it, you will love it.
    As for icing on the outside- that's weather and nothing but an electric shielf will stop that.

Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    That would be blue the red can be broken but very tuff to do so.
    Actually that's backwards.......the blue can be removed, with some effort......the red takes considerable heat to break........

Quote Originally Posted by buddah2 View Post
    Actually that's backwards.......the blue can be removed, with some effort......the red takes considerable heat to break........
    Thought that is what I posted but guess my wording was confusing but agree.

Don't want to sound like a smart a$$, but did you pull the protective plastic off the inside othe sheild? My wife had the same proplem and we look at sheild and the plastic was still on inside of the sheild!!

Quote Originally Posted by phattdaddy View Post
    Don't want to sound like a smart a$$, but did you pull the protective plastic off the inside othe sheild? My wife had the same proplem and we look at sheild and the plastic was still on inside of the sheild!!
    I hear Ya I had a bud buy new helmet complained about blurred vision so I took a look at it & sure enough protective film on inside of visor. Had a good laugh over that!!

Quote Originally Posted by polarismike View Post
    I don't know if your stuck on having a modular helmet or not, but I spent years with fogging problems and then to electric shield that would eventually break, and I hated to have a wire hooked to me etc.. One year I tried the Polaris AF-1, which stands for anti-fog. They don't make it anymore as far as I can see, but they do make a model called AF-2. I believe it is the same only a newer model. I have never had a fogging issue in any condition with this helmet with over 5 years use. I recommend this to anyone with fogging problems and/or the electric shield.
    i use the polaris mods with electric..the sheilds last 2 seasons roughly..tip..duct tape the sheild connector and it will greatly reduce breaking..i never fog..never ice unless outside snow, and it never breaks

Make sure if you open your mod and have the face mask on that there is no ice on the ends of the tubes. That way the seal is good so your breath goes outside.

I wear the insulator mask almost always unless its mild weather. When you put the mod down, move the mask around so you have a good seal around your nose. Otherwise you'll fog. I wear glasses and this helmet works great.

I recently bought the heated shield due to freezing rain. It helps.

I've had this helmet 3 years now. It takes getting used to to find the best methods.

Forgot to mention I use a light balaclava. My face is exposed but I do have the balaclava on my chin. The most critical thing is the seal by the nose when you bring the mod down. Push it up and that helps sometimes.
    Last edited by Polarice; 02-20-2013 at 08:16 PM.

I am on my third modular helmet - although my firsrt mod II. I wear glasses and in the past never had trouble with them fogging. With this last purchase my glasses are fogging like crazy! I will try to keep playing with it but I never had so much trouble...

If you don't have a good seal between your skin and the breath box in the modular, you're wasting your time. Adjust the straps so the breath box seals against ONLY skin. You can use the balaclava, but you need to make sure it doesn't interfere with the seal. Also remember, that heat rises...make sure that heat from under your neck, chest, chin...etc. doesn't have a way to creep up into your helmet. That heat means moisture, and moisture means fog/freeze. The proper seal is the ticket with modular helmets. Warm air has got to be exhausted anywhere other than around your face area. I used a modular for many years and all I ever did was replace the moisture pad in the breath box a couple times per season. Every time you stop, make sure you open up the helmet so it can breathe and dry out.

I've had two modulars XL, XXL and one Modular II, Never really had a foogging problem in any of them, but the Screws on the MOD II always come loose, I carry a quarter in my Bib pocket to tighten them every time we stop.

Just Bought a XXXL BVS as they seem to run small from ma Buddy who had a Spare and I was the only one who wore it a few yearsa ago when I loist the mask for my MOD II ( Yes Alochol was involved ) It was a warm weekend when I wore it , so I'm not sure how it will work this weekend , but heard once you get the mouth piece adjusted it should be fine.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is,

Like everyone else has said, you need a good seal to your face. BUT, I have found on both my mod2 and BV2S is if you have the nut cup to tight, it will actually leak air. At first I thought if I had the cup tighter to my face the better it would seal. But in reality, it seals better when it's "comfortable" on my face. The tighter I went with it, the more I would fog. It takes a little bit to get them fitted properly to your face. But once I got it, I have no fogging issues. And I can fog most any helmet out there, including googles.